Do you know your rights if stopped by the police?
Do you know your rights if you are stopped & or pulled over by the police? It is an honest answer yes or no? Allot of people don’t know their rights if they are approached by the police. Every single day in your community the police violates someones civil rights & they don’t even know it. It happens every single day, It happens more to Black people in their communities also if they go into a mostly White community.
You drive up & down the roads & you see the police dam near stripping someone on the streets or they are tearing apart your car on the side of the road just because of your race & it is not right. Police feel like they are invincible on the streets that they patrol, they feel like they can do what ever they want to people just because they are wearing a badge & gun & 9 times out of 10 they get away with it because people just don’t know their rights.
Well I am here to give a little bit of help & advice & also some tips you need to follow if you are confronted by the police. These are your rights & you should know them. So first I will start with children under the age of 18.
If you are under the age of 18 & the police officer try to ask you questions that could possibly get you in trouble or If a police officer arrest you & take you to the police station & try to question you.
1. Remember these words. ” I want a Lawyer”. Never talk to the Police without your parent or an attorney present. Police are professional interrogators & they know what they are doing. In some states police are allowed to question children without the consent of their parent or attorney. That is a serious problem with states that allow this.
2. If you are approached by the police on the street, ask them are you under arrest. If they say no than you are allowed to leave, you don’t need to say anything else just walk away. If they say that you are under arrest than you tell them that you want your parents or attorney present before any questioning and say nothing else.
Arrest warrant vs Search warrant
What is the difference between an arrest warrant & a search warrant, well believe it or not it is a big difference. I will get into the difference between a search warrant vs a arrest warrant in this portion of know your rights.
Arrest warrant –Is a warrant attached to a body ie. person by either a judge, court commissioner or in some states a court magistrate. So if the police show up to your house with an arrest warrant to arrest someone you do not have to let them in your home.
Search Warrant – A search warrant gives the police a right to enter your home. It is also signed by a judge, Court commissioner or a Court magistrate. It gives police the power to enter your home looking for items ie. Guns, Drugs etc. When the police enter your home they must present you with a copy of the warrant & if they take any items they must provide you with a receipt of the items taken as well.
So as you can see there is a major difference between an arrest warrant and a search warrant.
Okay now we are going to go into these 3 most common police encounters. I am going to go into each step one by one.
1. Turn your car off, crack your window, Keep your Hands on the steering wheel. Upon request show the officer your Drivers License & registration.
2. If the police ask to search your car say “no” If they attempt to search anyway, make it very clear that you are not consenting & you don’t agree with the search.
3. If the officer gives you a ticket sign it, it is not an admission of guilt & you can dispute your issues in the court of law. So you cn fight the ticket when you go to court.
4. If you are the driver & an officer orders you out of your car than you must obey the officers order.
5. If you have received a ticket, signed it & the officer ask if you can wait for a drug sniffing dog to arrive say ” no”.
6. A passenger may be ordered out of the vehicle but do not have to answer any questions or provide any information to the officer.
If you are stopped by the police on the street, It is not a crime to refuse to answer questions or to Identify yourself. However refusing to Identify yourself may make the officer suspicious of you so don’t lie, just make it clear that you are not answering any questions & you refuse to identify yourself unless you are being placed under arrest for commiting a crime.
2. You have a right to ask the officer ” Am I under arrest or am I Free to leave?” If the officer says yes just turn & walk away. If you are being placed under arrest than ask why then reply ” I want an attorney” & say nothing else.
Police cannot lawfully require that you Identify yourself or produce identification if they don’t reasonably suspect you are involed in a crime. A officer may do a ” Pat down ” search of your clothing if he suspects you have a weapon or drugs, Do not resist but make it very clear that you do not agree to be searched.
When in custody
1. You have the right to remain silent, here’s a good piece of advice; use that right. Never talk to the police without a lawyer being present never.
2. Memorize yourself with this sentence ” I want a Lawyer “ .
3. Make your defense in court. Avoid offering any explainations, stories, excuses to the police because it will be used against you.
4. Ask to see an attorney immediately. If you cannot afford one than one will be appointed to you at no charge. You can also ask the police to contact the public defenders office on your behalf.
5. Make decisions after talking with your attorney, Not doing so may lead to you spending the rest os your life in prison even if you are innocent never talk to the police without a lawyer being present.
Don’t ever think that it will be too late to make a statement once your attorney is present. You can always make a statement & deals can always be made better with an attorney in your corner.
Well people there it is. These are your rights provided to you by the constitution of the United States. Police is not above the law, They cannot just violate your civil rights when ever they please. I am so tired of people digging theirself in a hole because they don’t know how to just shut the hell up. it is very easy to do just say those magic words and zippen it shut & you will be fine.
The police are the professionals you are just a regular person, they know how to use words to scare you because of who they are. That is all they have is scare tactics, that is waht the police use. Then sometimes the say just tell me what I want to know & you can go home soon as your done then after that you are being hauled away to jail whitch will be your home for the next 30 years all because you did not say ” I want a Lawyer “ .
I hope that I was a help. Stay tunned for more good shit from your boy Twinlova,